Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Lesson Learned from Sandpaper

Yesterday I was reminded of an illustration that was taught to me by my mentor in college. There are times in our lives that we will have people or situations that hurt us. We will want to run the other way and not deal with the pain. As you know, sandpaper can be very abrasive. What happens when we rub the sandpaper against a block of rough wood? The wood becomes smooth! So it is the same when someone in our life is causing us hurt or there is a situation that is not going like we think it should. God can use those "hard to love" people or situations in our lives to make us more like Him. It causes us to totally rely on Him and trust that everything is going to be ok. He is in charge! I wish I could say that none of us would ever go through hard times or have trouble with relationships but that is not going to happen this side of heaven. But while we are here on this earth I want to press on and become more like Him even if I am saying "ouch" when I feel that sandpaper rubbing against me!! ( and because I am so visual I take a piece of sandpaper and write the person's name or situation on the back. Then I put it in my bible or refrigerator so I can remember to pray for that person or problem)
"Whenever trouble comes your way, let it be an opportunity for joy. For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be strong in character and ready for anything." James 1:2-5

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi! This is so good. I've been in the Refiner's fire (as Pastor Andrew would say) or tied up next to the belt sander since returning after Christmas. Ouch. I have, however, finally been restored and feel blessed and highly favored once again. I'm only a little over a year old Christian -- so I still get my feelings hurt. I'm learning though. And with God's continued grace, and my eyes on Jesus, and the Holy Spirit deep within me, I will continue to grow in my walk with Him.

One of my many bizarre sayings is, "We're Christians! We're not supposed to hurt each other! We're supposed to love one another as Jesus commanded!" Anyway, I know, I know.....

I received this from my Godly friend and sister in Christ, Susie Chew, as she was ministering to me during this painful time. I hope she'll forgive me for posting it.........

Malachi 3:3 says: "He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver."

This verse puzzled some women in a Bible study and they wondered what this statement meant about the character and nature of God.

One of the women offered to find out the process of refining silver and get back to the group at their next Bible Study.

That week, the woman called a silversmith and made an appointment to watch him at work. She didn't mention anything about the reason for her interest beyond her curiosity about the process of refining Silver.

As she watched the silversmith, he held a piece of silver over the fire and let it heat up. He explained that in refining silver, one needed to hold the silver in the middle of the fire where the flames were hottest as to burn away all the impurities.

The woman thought about God holding us in such a hot spot; then she thought again about the verse that says: "He sits as a refiner and purifier of silver." She asked the silversmith if it was true that he had to sit there in front of the fire the whole time the silver was being refined.

The man answered that yes, he not only had to sit there holding the silver, but he had to keep his eyes on the silver the entire time it was in the fire. If the silver was left a moment too long in the flames, it would be destroyed.

The woman was silent for a moment, then she asked the silver-smith, "How do you know when the silver is fully refined?"

He smiled at her and nswered, "Oh, that's easy -- when I see my image in it."

If today you are feeling the heat of the fire, remember that God has his eye on you and will keep watching you until He sees His image in you.

Pass this on right now. This very moment, someone needs to know that God is watching over them.

And, whatever they're going through, they'll be a better person in the end.

"Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once."


How do we subscribe to your wonderful blog?

May God continue to bless you and your beautiful family.

With His abundant and unfailing love, and mine,

Nancy Smith
CancerSurvivorX2@hotmail.com